Today, most often on the building forums on the Internet you can see the question – which linoleum is better for an apartment? Why, when choosing a floor covering, consumers still prefer not to novelties, but to traditional materials?
The thing is that traditional flooring materials in many respects are not worse, and somewhere even better, for example, the same newfangled laminate. This is true for linoleum. This flooring is the most common, the most democratic and one of the cheapest flooring material.
Let’s see what the modern market offers, what kinds of linoleum are present on it, and how they differ from each other.
Classification of linoleum for floors
Why are we interested in the classification of linoleum? The fact is that in rooms with different loads on the floor you need to lay a certain type of this material. In this case, it is necessary to take into account such an indicator as the permeability of the premises.
It is clear and without words that the more passable, the higher the abrasion of the floor covering. That is, the more we walk on the floor, the faster the floor material wears out. Therefore, it is worth first to find out what loads are acting on the base, and only then choose the coating, based on its technical characteristics. To be clear, consider the lineup of linoleum.
Manufacturers produce two main types of material – natural and synthetic. It is clear from the name itself, what is the difference between them. The first version is made only of natural materials. We will not go into details about its composition. On our website you will find articles detailing what and how a natural sample is made. We are more interested in what kind of linoleum is better.
Just note that the natural look is the best option. Maybe someone will argue that their characteristic are not true, or in practice this sample does not withstand the load and quickly fails. Do not believe all this! Natural linoleum flooring, if you compare it with synthetic linoleum, is ideal for both home and apartment.
There is only one indicator, which speaks for itself – this is the service life of the material, equal to 25-30 years. Synthetic coating cannot withstand so much. Of course, it is necessary to make a reservation – the material must be correctly laid down for all technological requirements. And it is necessary to take care of it. However, natural linoleum has one big drawback – it’s a high price. Here you cannot argue, but if you are still tormented by the question of the best choice and your budget allows you to purchase exactly the natural material, then do not even think about it, but buy it. You will not regret!
There is natural linoleum and one more minus – poverty of decorative design. The color scale is extensive, and there are no problems here. But the uniformity does not always fit into the interior design. But with a variety of drawings, manufacturers “pumped up”. But this is the cost of production. So choose from what is on the market.
This is the most common and popular species. And there are two reasons for this:
- Cheapness of the product.
- A variety of design.
And although of the two types of synthetic linoleum is not the best, the bulk of consumers prefer it to him.
Please note that in this category there are two subspecies:
Again, we will not go into the details of their technical characteristics and properties, as well as the composition and technological production. Just note that homogeneous linoleum is a monolithic material 2-3 mm thick. It is made of polyvinyl chloride with various additives. Its distinctive feature is a drawing in the entire thickness of the material. What does it give? Only then, in the process of gradual abrasion, the pattern does not disappear. It can fade, change its brightness a little, but it will not disappear at all.
A heterogeneous variant is a layered pie made from several materials. In it, the top layer is a protective film, and the second layer is a decorative material, that is, the picture itself. While the protective film has not rubbed, you can talk about the beauty and presentable appearance of linoleum. As soon as it rubs through, your synthetic linoleum floor will quickly become not just ugly, but disgusting. And you will have to resort to cardinal measures – repair or complete replacement of the floor covering.
By the way, the thickness of heterogeneous linoleum varies from 3 to 6 mm. It would seem that in this subgroup this is the best option. But let’s not rush. Each type and subspecies has classes that distribute linoleum in terms of wear resistance. Again, we will not go into the details of the distribution, but simply classify the material for wear.
Types of synthetic linoleum
- Domestic. This material has a thickness of up to 2 mm and can withstand loads up to 2.25 kg / m². Is this a lot or a little? Remember that we want to deal with linoleum in terms of its suitability for a house or apartment. And since in apartments and houses there are rooms with different traffic, the household option should be considered for this indicator.
For example, the bedroom. We visit it rarely and just sleep in it, practically without creating loads on the bedroom floor. Hence, the household option here is best. Especially since this is the cheapest material in this category.
- Semi-commercial. Not everyone understands why “semi”. Because there is a commercial option, and this type is something between domestic and commercial, that’s why it got that name. But he has very interesting indicators. It is as durable as commercial material, but not very thick, like the household one. That is, it combines all the best characteristics of different types of coverage. And since we are talking about linoleum for an apartment and a house, it is the semi-commercial model that can be considered ideal in this regard. Therefore, it is most often laid in corridors, hallways, in the kitchen, balcony or loggia, as well as in the bathroom and toilets.
Do not think that this option is only used in rooms with high traffic. Just a household option is almost twice cheaper. And if there is a question of economy, the division of premises according to this principle will be optimal. Well, if the repair budget does not deter you, then you can lay semi-commercial linoleum in all rooms and household premises.
- Commercial. So, we got to the most durable and most wear-resistant floor covering in the “linoleum” category. We will not talk about it, because it is not used in apartments and houses.
There are several subspecies, of which you can say a few words:
- Acoustic type of linoleum. It has a high degree of sound insulation. Do you want to use it in your apartment? No problem – we recommend to lay the floor in the children’s room.
- Anti-slip flooring material. Its surface layer in its composition has carborundum or quartz crumb. This is an excellent floor covering in wet rooms. Yes, and on the attached balcony, it will last for many years.
- Antistatic option. It is not used in apartments as well as commercial linoleum. It is laid in rooms, where a large number of different electrical equipment of production type. For example, on the floor in substations.
So, with the technical features of linoleum flooring, we sorted it out. Now let’s stop at a question like linoleum in the interior. Specialists-designers note that the color design of rooms, especially residential, affects the mood of a person, his calmness, well-being and overall health.
Therefore, professionals advise:
- In the bedrooms it is better to lay linoleum without a pattern with calm color tones. From the palette it is better to take a beige color, cream or sand. We will not, of course, be so categorical. If you lay a linoleum in the bedroom with a picture of a tree or light marble, then it will only benefit from this.
Attention! We recommend the option in which the color of the walls gradually flows into the color scheme of the floor. No sharp deviations! A calm atmosphere should be created.
- But in the living room you can experiment. Much will depend on the predilections of the owner, so we recommend that you actively participate in the creation of a design project. You can choose a linoleum with bright patterns or create a contrast of walls and floor – for example, white walls and black linoleum flooring. You can play on the naturalness, that is, lay linoleum with an imitation of stone or wooden floor. In general, include the flight of your imagination.
- In the children’s room, where the kids live, it is best to use linoleum of bright or light tones. A good bright drawing will not be superfluous either. For teenagers, the best option is a low-key floor with no excesses, and it is better if it is monophonic.
- In bathrooms and toilets, use linoleum of cold tones. For example, blue or blue, greenish or turquoise.
- In the kitchen will look great lime green or yellow-green.
- In the corridors and hallways – dark colors or imitation of wood and stone floors.
By the way, there are certain rules for choosing colors, which you must pay attention to.
How to choose colors?
- The combination of a dark flooring and a dark ceiling widens the space of the room, but reduces the height of the ceilings. This is purely a visual experience.
- Optimal choice – light walls and dark floor or vice versa – dark walls and a light floor.
- The combination of a dark floor with dark walls and a light ceiling will create a visual effect of the cellar.
- It is also not recommended to choose dark shades for all elements of the room. Such a visual defect will distort the dimensions of the room, and it will become formless.
- Very carefully it is necessary to concern to linoleum of red color. Especially it is not recommended to use it in bedrooms, children’s, kitchens and rooms where elderly people live.
- But the purple will look great in the bedrooms, where there are design elements of golden color.
- Green is a universal color. His eyes are always resting on him, so you can safely use it in any destination of the house or apartment.
- Yellow is best used in rooms that go to the north side.
Conclusion on the topic
As you can see, in order to find the best linoleum for your home, you need to know its technical characteristics, design and types. Summarizing all that has been said, one important conclusion can be drawn. Buy semi-commercial linoleum – natural or synthetic, and pay attention to its decorative design. Although there is an opinion that linoleum with a surface that imitates natural materials (wood, stone, sand, metal and so on) is the best option in any room with different purposes. So, choosing this type, you will not lose.