If you decide to finish the floor with a laminated wooden floor but do not know how to choose a laminate for an apartment, our information will help you with this. We will analyze the features of the choice of material for rooms with different functional purposes.
Laminate flooring price
It is believed that laminate flooring is a cheap alternative to parquet and a parquet board. But the price policy of manufacturers today is quite volatile, and in the modern market, you will find different in price laminate floor boards. In this case, the more expensive the material, the better.
Initially, the laminate was produced as the most democratic finishing material for the engineered floor. However, the requirements of consumers are growing, and many want to see on the floor of their apartment a real wooden floor covering.
Therefore, there are more expensive wooden laminate models that have a number of advantages and a certain set of technical characteristics:
- A more accurate imitation of the structure of the tree, namely, the surface roughness, pores, and cracks of the cortex.
- The thickness of expensive models is greater, and this is the strength of the floor, and its durability, and the duration of the operation. Attention is also paid to the thickness of the protective layer. After all, the wear resistance of the coating depends on it, its ability to withstand sunlight and chemically active substances.
Of these two indicators, the second is more important. The design solution is just an addition, although it is the first one that catches your eye. We add that thick wooden boards do not sound much when walking and do not bend very strongly under loads, but they are more flexible in mounting. Hence the conclusion – improving the technical characteristics of the wooden laminate affects its price upward.
Of course, there are cheap products on the market, and one should not forget about it. Use it is not only possible but also necessary. For example, you rented an apartment, but you want to live beautifully. We recommend to buy a cheap laminate and install the floor yourself. The same option is suitable for those who tend to a constant change of interior, not wanting to live many years with one design. The cheapest floor laminate will last 5-6 years, so it’s worth paying attention to it.
How to choose the wooden laminate flooring for a house or apartment, taking into account the classification of this material? First of all, it is necessary to pay attention to the wear resistance class of the laminate. There are only two digits in the marking. The second shows exactly the wear resistance:
- The number 1 means that laminate floor boards can only be used in rooms with low traffic. For example, in the bedrooms, the office and even the pantry.
- “2” means that this model is designed for rooms with medium traffic. They include a living room or a dressing room.
- The figure “3” indicates that the laminate can be laid only in rooms with high traffic – it is a corridor, an entrance hall, a kitchen and so on.
By the way, when choosing a laminate floor coating, pay attention to the badges that the manufacturer puts on the packaging. As for durability, everything is simple here. One person is class 21, two – 22, three – 23.
If the package has a house icon, then this model is designed for living quarters. If the building, then the material can be laid in public areas. And if the factory icon, then the material is designed for production spaces. By the way, many manufacturers immediately indicate the thickness of the laminate flooring boards, so there is no need to look for information in the accompanying documents.
Some consumers do not take into account the fact that the basis for the long-term operation of the hardwood laminate is not only its class. No less important is the density of the product and its moisture resistance. And these indicators with wear resistance are not connected in any way. And if you decide to put such a floor covering in a damp room, then you should pay attention not to wear resistance, but to moisture resistance.
Now about the density. This characteristic directly affects the strength of the material. And the closer it is, the stronger. Manufacturers of laminate density indicate not always. But it can be calculated on its own in just a few minutes. To do this, you need to know the number of panels in the package, their dimensions, and mass (net). All this on the package is indicated necessarily. Now we turn to mathematical calculations:
- We find the volume of one laminate floor board. For this, we multiply the length, width, and thickness between each other.
- The resulting value is multiplied by the number of panels. We get the total volume of the package.
- Now divide the mass (net) into the received volume. This is the density of the finishing material.
If the result is higher than 850 kg / m³, then you have high-strength material. If lower, then you should think about buying it. Although low-density laminate can be used in rooms with low traffic – it’s bedrooms, cabinets, storerooms, and others.
And one more element of the construction of the laminate, on which the quality of the flooring depends. This is a chamfer. Many consider it a decorative element. In fact, so it is. But the bevel also has a number of functional features. It makes the joints between the panels invisible, so its role cannot be underestimated.
Laminate flooring for the kitchen
Not everyone knows how to choose a laminate for the kitchen. Therefore, let us dwell on this issue in more detail.
The kitchen is considered a wet room. In any case, the moisture index in it is higher than, for example, in the living room or nursery. Therefore, when choosing a laminate, it is worth paying attention to its moisture resistance. But consider also that the kitchen is a room with high traffic. Therefore, laminate class 23 or 31 – the best option.
Let’s look at the big kitchen. To reduce the wear resistance of the floor covering in this room, space is divided into two zones:
- Cooking space
- Dining space
In the first, it is better to lay ceramic tile and in the second wooden laminate. The border can be hidden by a special threshold. And here you can save a little by laying a laminate of a lower class. After all, in the dining area, the permeability is not as high as in the work area. True, the savings will not be very big. Therefore, be guided by the life of the material and decide how many years you are planning another repair.
Choosing the right laminate flooring
We return to the choice of material. An important question is how to choose the color of the laminate – white laminate, black laminate or a more usual brown color? Every consumer has his own taste preferences, so it’s very difficult for everyone to please with one advice at once. Therefore, there are no specific requirements and recommendations here.
But consider one thing: if you are laying a laminate for several years, it’s unlikely that you will succeed in following fashion. So do not look at photos in glossy magazines, but choose a color for yourself. It is necessary that he never bother you. The best option is not too dark or too light color. These colors are very marble, so you will often have to wash and clean the laminate floor.
True, designers offer some combinations that will help to properly design a room:
- Do not combine a dark ceiling with a dark floor – this reduces the space of the room.
- Light colors on the floor, ceiling and walls increase the amount of space. However, at the same time the design becomes cold.
- Light ceiling, neutral color of walls and dark laminate – an excellent solution. With its help, the room becomes deep.
- The universal color of the floor is brown.
- A yellowish shade with a pattern of wood will make the room warmer.
Choosing the right laminate flooring for each room
As for the living room, it’s worth it to go broke and buy high-quality laminate. On this it is better not to save.
Firstly, it’s a good idea if the panels will have a distinct pattern of expensive wood. Pay special attention to the hardwood laminate, which imitates parquet. This is an ideal solution for the living room. Secondly, with regard to the product class, the best option is laminate 32 class.
With the children’s room everything is much more complicated:
- It is necessary to demand a hygienic certificate from the seller when buying. If you can not provide it, leave this store.
- Children’s room is one of the most passable rooms, so that laminate flooring of class 32 will be appropriate here.
- The color palette can be varied. But keep in mind that in this room children play on the floor. So from light colors, it is better to refuse – they too are marching.
- Choose panels with a non-slip surface layer.
- Locking connection must be increased reliability.
- Before the laminate floor installation in the nursery, it is recommended that the room is ventilated and quenched.
In the bedroom, it is better to put a laminate of calm tones. Do not look for any original solutions. Stop on the classic, which will not irritate you. In terms of wear resistance, purchase laminated floor boards of grade 31. Bedroom – a room with low traffic, so that overpayment, in this case, is not recommended.
We have already talked about the kitchens, but we will give one more useful advice. It is better once to shell out and buy an expensive moisture-resistant laminate, which will serve the entire warranty period. And the more the kitchen, the more elegant the laminate should be. If you want to achieve the correct design of the floor in the kitchen, then give preference to the stylized cover.
Laminate flooring manufacturers
All consumers know that the material from the brand manufacturer is a guarantee of high quality, a huge variety of models, a long service life and not a very low price.
But that’s amazing! In the market, you can find a huge number of brands that are considered the brand but do not have high-performance characteristics. The consumer simply overcharges for the name. Therefore, the question of which firm to choose a laminate is one of the most urgent.
Do you know what we want to advise you? Do not make brands of idols, and do not rely on the opinions of producers – this is sometimes the usual publicity stunt. Sometimes one should not take into account even the opinion of experts. Rely only on your own possibilities. Put your taste preferences first and foremost. Imagine that you have invested heavily in the design of the floor, and he never brought you joy.
Engineered laminate flooring is a great material. Of all its merits, it is worth mentioning one more thing. This is an opportunity to lay material over the “heated floor”. Of course, much will depend on the thickness of the panels used. The thicker the board, the lower its thermal conductivity. But here you have to sacrifice something. The heated floor and wooden laminate perfectly “cooperate” with each other. True, there are some requirements for laying a laminate, and for installing a heated floor.