No artificial coating will create a cozy and unique atmosphere in the house, like a wide plank solid wood floor. Today it is an elite floor material made of wood, for example: the acacia solid hardwood flooring. It is widely used for finishing all kinds of rooms. Being durable, beautiful and natural material, the wood massif is made from different coniferous and deciduous trees and even from an exotic plant such as bamboo.
A massive board is a holistic section of a board cut from the trunk of a tree. It is made of valuable wood species of excellent quality drying with the use of innovative technologies. In addition, ithas, as well as a parquet board, grooves and ridges along the edges.
The modern massive board brings home comfort to the unjustifiably forgotten wooden floor, but already an order of magnitude higher in quality.
Such a flooring board took revenge on the environmental friendliness and the absence of allergic reactions to it, since it does not have a chemical adhesive component – it is a formaldehyde free wooden floor. The assembly of the flooring takes place quickly and without much labor. Over time, the board is easily updated. By cycling, it returns the original design created by nature. Covering with natural ingredients gives a massive board freshness, contrast and a sense of the presence of a living tree.
Main types of material
By the method of processing and cutting methods, wide plank boards are divided into several types:
- Radial. This board, obtained by cutting wood radially. As a result, the board is homogeneous in color and texture, having a minimum inter-annular gaps. It is resistant to all kinds of mechanical influences, does not undergo deformation and has a high degree of wear resistance. To obtain such a board, wood of the highest category is used. Its cost is very high, because the useful yield for sawing is only 15%.
- Select. Board, obtained by means of semi-tangential or tangential sawing of the highest quality wood. Its texture is fairly flat, has no differences, and the natural pattern is saturated with undulating rings. The board is more affordable, but it swells and has a large shrinkage.
- Natural. Board, which is more like an untreated natural tree, often as a nature exotic wood flooring. It is obtained by means of semi-radial, radial and tangential cuts. In the structure of the board, a slight color difference is possible, live knots and the general tone of the tree are preserved.
- Rustic. This floorboard is obtained by tangential, radial and semi-radial cuts. Here, color changes in the texture and non-surviving non-living knots up to 10 mm in diameter are possible. Live knots can not differ in color from the texture of the tree. High requirements to the quality and appearance of such a board is not presented.
Advantages of wide wood flooring planks
New technologies make it possible to apply different ways of sawing solid wooden logs. As a result, the planks are durable for torsion and bending.
The advantages of a wide wood flooring planks include:
- Durability. Proper installation during installation and careful operation guarantee a material service up to 100 years.
- The use of a variety of wood species – acacia, decay, pine, cedar, bamboo and other exotic wooden planks.
- Mounting on any kind of foundation provided that the preparatory work is properly done.
- The dimensions of the floorboard vary in length from 3 to 6 meters in different manufacturers. Such a take-off allows flooring to be of sufficiently large dimensions, without the use of additional lateral joints.
- Issued parquet array of the board has four-way connections. The length of the parquet element is half a meter with a thickness of 2.5 cm.
Installation of solid wide wood planks
A massive board is used for laying in any residential premises except for a bathroom where humidity is increased.
The boards are mounted on any kind of supporting structure. It can be:
- Reinforced concrete slab or monolithic overlap.
- Metal or wooden structures with the presence of logs.
- Support bearing poles used in private housing construction with a low number of stories.
Mounting on a concrete monolith
For such installation it is necessary to carry out a number of operations for leveling, waterproofing and installing a rough floor. Only after them is the installation directly on the board itself.
Step by step, all the work will look like this:
Leveling of the surface by sand and cement screed according to the level.
- After completely drying it is necessary to mount over the waterproofing layer. The main thing is to make the overlap of the waterproofing “overlap”, if roll materials are used.
- Above this layer a moisture-resistant multi-layer plywood is mounted. Be sure to shift the joints in staggered order, keeping a gap of 5-10 mm between the sheets, so that when the material is expanded there is no creaking and swelling of the sheets. Near the walls it is necessary to leave thermal gaps of 10-15 mm for linear expansion.
- The plywood under the board is used for flooring thickness of 2.5 cm. If the massive board has a large thickness, preference is given to mounting on logs.
Features of installation on logs and support poles
- Logs for mounting wooden massifs are made of square bars of 50 mm. Depending on the thickness of the flooring, the step of their installation is from 30 to 70 centimeters.
- The logs are laid strictly on the level, which simplifies the later installation of the boards.
- In the case of mounting the array on the supporting poles, it is necessary to waterproof seal the underlay along their upper edge, in order to avoid the penetration of moisture into the wooden floor structures.
- All wooden elements of load-bearing structures are treated with antiseptic and flame retardants to protect them from rot and fire.
Solid oak flooring
A modern oak board has a unique beautiful pattern and looks wonderfully in the room. This material is deservedly popular due to its quality characteristics.
Over time, this wood gets even more strength, and its color becomes brighter and more contrast.
Ways of mounting an oak hardwood floor
The oak floorboard must be mounted on a prepared, level surface. There are two types of such products on the building materials market. The first is a regular board, and the second is click lock engineered wood flooring board.
It is these click system boards that are used in practice. They facilitate installation, make the surface strong, do not let moisture and cold, do not form a gap, so that the floor looks like a solid cloth. Fix this coating with special clamps, thanks to which the surface of the material is not damaged.
If the installation is done on logs, then between them, a heater and a polyethylene film with a thickness of at least 200 microns must be laid to protect the material from moisture penetration.
If the oak block is fixed to the concrete surface, then mounting glue for these types of work is used for fastening, not damaging the insulation. After the installation on the oak surface, a protective coating should be applied.
Protect the oak boards from moisture and all sorts of mechanical damages will help a special protective coating.
Recently, compositions based on natural wax have become popular. They are softer and more sparing, and also do not form a hard surface, like a varnish.
A wide wood board is a modern, durable and practical material. Made from different types of wood and natural exotic wood, it has a variety of color shades inherent in individual wood species. It is used by designers in their exclusive designs for various interior spaces. A special charm has an oak floor, the durability and beauty of which make it the most in demand. The tree is a natural, warm and beautiful material that today confidently restores its lost positions and worthily deserves the consumers’ love.