Anyone who lives in an apartment building or condo, permanently faces many simple domestic problems. One of them is good audibility through floors or walls. It is very difficult to achieve perfect silence. But sometimes it is still possible to reduce the penetration of sounds from neighbors living on the floor below, through soundproofing between floors in house. How to do it? What to look for in the process of work? Read the detailed answers in the article.
Noise, which penetrates into a room from adjacent apartments, is divided into two types:
- Air noise (music and loud speech).
- Shock sounds (steps, punch of fallen objects, rumbling).
The event, which helps to sound dampening between floors the above-mentioned irritants and provide silence, create coziness and comfort in the house, is called acoustic floor insulation.
Airborne sound insulation
In order to understand how to fix the problem, it is necessary to find out how the sounds propagate. Air noise, for example, penetrate into other rooms along the bearing structures of floors. In a conventional monolithic block of flats, reinforced concrete slabs act as them. In the private sector – wooden beams, the space between which is filled with loose materials that have excellent thermal insulation properties.
The design of the floor, its structure, located above the supporting structures, in this case does not play a big role, does not affect the overall coefficient of the flooring for sound absorption. The most important thing in this situation is the magnitude of the massive structure per square meter. If it exceeds 350 kilograms, the noise insulation of the floors in the apartment is fully ensured. If the figures are lower, you need to increase the mass, performing a cement-sand screed.
Impact sound reducing flooring
To get rid of shock noises it is possible only in one case – several times to increase the massiveness of the structure, to make it more than 350 kg / sq. M. But it’s impossible to do it from a technical point of view. No support can withstand such a monolithic slab. And from the economic point of view it is difficult.
The solution to the problem is to use the structural features of existing floors.
The choice of the optimal method
What can be acoustic flooring for insulation in the apartment? Different. Everything depends on the design of the house and the material from which the ceilings are made. Eliminate the continuous sound effect that affects a person negatively, in the following ways:
- Run the screed.
- Qualitatively warm the base.
- For laying the finishing coat, use sound-absorbing substrates.
The most popular method of floor soundproofing is the installation of a cement-sand screed, which helps to solve several very important repair tasks. It simultaneously insulates the base and prepares it for finishing. Cement screed – an excellent protection against impact noise, but only if a “floating screed” is being built. Here’s how it works:
- First, existing floors are removed. If it is a boardwalk, all the boards are removed completely. If the base is concrete, it also removes the existing finish (linoleum, old parquet, cork, laminate).
- Then the floor surface is thoroughly cleaned of construction debris and dust and examined for defects. Cracks, potholes and chips are filled with a cement-sand mortar, the bumps are cleaved.
- At the edges of the walls along the entire perimeter vibrato-insulating pads are laid, the height of which is 2-3 cm higher than the height of the future screed.
- A layer of waterproofing sealant is applied, the floor is covered with polyethylene film, the joints of the roll material are lapped and fastened with the usual construction tape.
- Further beacons are exposed. Then between them, you can lay a layer of insulation, for example, mineral wool or extruded polystyrene foam. But you can use a special sound-absorbing cotton wool instead. The reinforcing mesh is laid on top of the heat-insulating material and only then everything is poured with a cement-sand mortar. The floor is ready. After the screed has dried, any modern finishing material can be laid on top.
The final design perfectly extinguishes both sound and shock noises. However, it cannot be used in all rooms. The described acoustic sound insulation of the floor in the apartment under the screed is only possible in the premises of the ground floor and where the floors are able to withstand a heavy load.
Note! It is not possible to insulate the hardwood floors using cement-sand screeds.
In this case, you can pay attention to the technology of “dry” screed, in which lightweight bulk materials such as expanded clay are used as insulation and sound absorbing material.
Sound dampening underlay and flooring insulation
Today, the “dry screed” is the best soundproof underlay for hardwood flooring. The technology of its laying is simple. Anyone who has elementary building skills can perform it. The installation algorithm is simple. And you can do it on any basis – both on concrete and on wood:
- Again we dismantle the old finish, get rid of construction debris and produce a waterproof flooring surface.
- If the floor is concrete, we put beacons and the space formed between two adjacent guides, we fill with expanded clay. If the floor is wooden, the clay falls between two adjacent lags.
- On top of the vapor barrier membrane.
- Then directly on it lay any sheet material – moisture resistant plywood, DSA, gypsum fiber sheets.
Such activities help to get rid of two problems at the same time – to reduce heat losses and to extinguish penetrating shock and air noises. Any acoustic insulation, laid around the perimeter of the room, allows you to achieve the expected effect, reduce spending on heating, create a comfortable micro-climate in the apartment, forming an atmosphere of home comfort.
Noise Reduction Underlay For Laminate Flooring
At the moment, the soundproofing of the floor of the condo or apartment is also ensured if the laminate is used as the finishing material. And all because when you lay it a special substrate is used, which effectively copes with the indicated problem.
The underlay is used to ensure that the finish coat does not come into contact with the base of the floor. A large number of roll substrates can be found on the market. Which variety is able to provide the expected effect? Answer to this question will help familiarize yourself with the most popular materials.
The most popular underlay is foamed polyethylene foam. It has a high moisture resistance, good thermal insulation properties. It never inhabits fungal microorganisms, rodents of polyethylene foam do not gnaw.
Note! It is worth the material is relatively inexpensive soundproofing. It perfectly extinguishes the impact noise, but over time, under the influence of mechanical loads, it loses its form, and with it its exceptional qualities. So you need to be ready for this.
The cork underlay refers to a variety of rigid materials, making it ideal for a floating floor. Cork noise insulation on the floor in the apartment is the most effective way to get rid of shock and air noise. But such an underlay is expensive. It will not be affordable for everyone, so those who are looking for an optimal price-quality ratio can be advised to pay attention to the rubber-cork substrate.
It has a cork base, which provides the described material with all the advantages of a natural base. And bitumen, which is added to the substrate, is responsible for ensuring good ventilation.
Such an underlay perfect impact sound reduction flooring, reduces decibels of transit sounds, prevents penetration of moisture, creates natural ventilation, which helps significantly increase the operating time of the floor covering. All these indicators together compensate for any costs for the purchase of additional soundproof flooring material.
Conclusion on the topic
Many people today doubt whether it is necessary to make acoustic insulation of the floor. Definitely “yes”. And all because often external stimuli form a negative state, which can provoke the development of prolonged stress. What can this lead to? To complete loss of health. A person who can not relax and fully rest, becomes irritable, nervous, does not sleep well, loses appetite and taste for life. Therefore, you do not need to save on high-quality sound insulation of the floor.