Now the market of building and finishing materials began to offer a huge assortment of floor coverings, which included traditional finishing materials, as well as new items that appeared recently. The variety is actually so huge that sometimes consumers get into a dead end, choosing from a large number of species. To offer today something concrete becomes difficult, and, as always, much will depend on the money that the consumer allocates for repairing his own housing. True, there is one criterion for choice, which for many becomes fundamental. This is the optimal price-quality ratio. In this article I would like to consider one floor material that appeared on the market not so long ago. It’s about self-adhesive vinyl floor tiles.
Let’s start our conversation with the fact that PVC tiles have been used in repair work for years so thirty years ago. The market demanded to change the approach to solving the problems of facing the floor. At that time, all the flooring materials were divided into very cheap and very expensive. The middle class was present, but in small volumes, which was quite a big problem. Even ordinary floorboards were divided into classes, and the highest category for ordinary inhabitants was not available at a price. Therefore, good floor material was required, which would be inexpensive, but would have excellent physical, technical and operational characteristics.
We will not say that self-adhesive floor pvc tile was one of the first, but it took its rightful place in the category of flooring. It’s all about her great qualities and qualities. Judge for yourself:
- It is an eco-friendly material that is made from modern components.
- Its strength and durability can envy stone and concrete.
- From the second advantage follows the third – a high period of operation.
- An excellent indicator of practicality. Such a tile can be washed and cleaned with any household detergent. Exceptions are abrasive agents and mixtures.
- A huge number of sizes
- Large assortment in terms of design. Here, not only color solutions and drawings. Currently, manufacturers offer floor PVC tiles, decorated for wood, natural stone, sand, metal and so on. That’s where your fantasy can go!
It’s amazing that modern technologies allow creating such a texture of this floor covering that it is simply impossible to distinguish it from the real analogue. But there is one nice difference that can be attributed to the merits. If the tile imitates marble or granite, then under your feet there will actually be a stone floor, but it will be warm.
The structure of vinyl tiles
Today, manufacturers offer several varieties of PVC coatings, which differ significantly from each other, but they have a single layered structure. It includes materials such as vinyl, polyvinyl chloride and plasticizers. So, structure, let’s start from the top:
- The first top layer is transparent vinyl, which passes special processing technology. After which it becomes durable, can withstand sufficiently large mechanical loads and a strong chemical effect. It is from this layer depends indicators such as wear resistance, practicality and strength of the coating.
- The middle layer is responsible for the decorative qualities of the floor material. Here, special dyes are used that provide the expressiveness of the picture, its uniformity and high definition. Such dyes are manufactured using special technologies, so they have a very high strength of bonding to the surface. So that the sun’s rays can not spoil the quality characteristics of the exterior design (mainly color), the applied dyes are covered with a UV-film.
- The lower layer is the base. It is made from a mixture of different polymers and plasticizers. This includes polyvinyl chloride, vinyl and fillers.
Types of PVC floor tiles
What are the differences between the types of this material? Currently, manufacturers offer two main types, which differ from each other fillers.
The technology of manufacturing this flooring is quite complicated. First, all ingredients are mixed. Secondly, the resulting mixture is poured into molds at high temperatures and pressed under high pressure. Hence the name. Thirdly, such a tile must be covered with a protective transparent film, the thickness of which determines the period of its operation.
Under the influence of temperatures and press the material becomes dense, strong, but the structure of the components does not change, which means that the floor tiles will always be flexible, elastic and plastic.
We will add that such floor material is perfectly cut, which simplifies the process of its installation.
The laying itself is made without gaps, which makes the floor even and solid. Currently, manufacturers offer tiles of different sizes and shapes, the main ones of which are a rectangle and a square.
Quartz-vinyl floor tiles
To attribute this finishing material to the category “self-adhesive pvc floor tiles” is impossible, because for its laying you will need a special mastic based on the glue component. But it is necessary to say about it as one of the varieties of this class.
Note that the basis of this flooring material is quartz – it is made up of 80% tiles. If we talk about the merits, we can identify some indicators:
- The strength of quartz is determined by the coefficient of 7 (good index).
- It does not absorb moisture, which is one of the most important criteria for flooring.
- Do not conduct an electric current – also good.
- It is not subject to the negative effects of acids and alkalis, so that such floors can be cleaned without problems, without paying attention to the composition of detergents.
The result – can withstand great mechanical stress and negative impact of nature. But this tile is very elastic and plastic (thanks to plasticizers). The thickness of the material is from 1.5 to 3.5 millimeters. Usually it is laid in office and office space, but there are no restrictions, so use it safely in living rooms.
Self-adhesive floor vinyl pvc tiles got its name because you do not need an adhesive for its laying. It is already factory-printed on the reverse side of the material. That the glue did not act on the surface during storage and transportation, it is covered with a special protective film. Before laying, the film is removed.
There are several requirements that must be fulfilled, and which will influence the further long-term operation of the tiled floor. The first is a flat and durable surface. Not so important as what, but these two indicators must be fulfilled necessarily. And if even on the basis of already lies another finishing material, it can not be dismantled. It is important that it is well attached to the base and level.
The fact is that PVC tiles do not have a very large thickness factor, so that it can hide small defects, irregularities and swings. Therefore, you will have to pay special attention to this process.
What is necessary to do this? Everything will depend on what kind of foundation you have in your house or apartment. If this is an ordinary concrete slab, then you just have to align it using either a conventional screed or a self-leveling self-leveling floor. And the one and the other option perfectly cope with the duties assigned to them, so it makes sense to choose an inexpensive option.
If the floors in your house are wooden, then you have to work a lot. The best option is to close them with plywood. It is worth such an operation is not cheap, but the base of the floor becomes very even. There are several requirements for plywood flooring:
- The top layer must be covered with linseed oil.
- Laying plywood sheets is made with a small offset, this allows you to distribute the load evenly over the entire area.
- Fasten the sheets with glue and screws at a time – this will increase the strength of the fasteners.
- If the floor base confuses you in terms of flatness and strength, then it is better to lay the plywood in two layers.
- Joints between sheets must be filled with filler.
If the plank floor in good condition (meaning the quality of the boards), then it can be brought to a high level of flatness without the use of plywood sheets. To do this, you will have to rally (this is the removal of large gaps and crevices between the floorboards), polishing, sealing gaps and defects of the boards with putty, treatment with a special primer, which is sold complete with vinyl tiles.
All the same, all the above operations can be done with flooring such as parquet, ceramic floor tiles, boards, stone and so on. After the floor is ready, you can go to the most assembly process. First of all, determine the center of the room (draw a diagonal), because the laying technology is made from the center to the edges. Then divide the square into four equal rectangles with the corners joining in the obtained center. Now take one tile, remove the protective film from the bottom and place it in any rectangle so that its angle exactly approaches the center of the room. All the same thing needs to be done with three other tiles, only they need to be stacked on different rectangular areas. That is, you have to put four tiles in the center.
All other elements in the same sequence fill the remaining space. Here you can fill in the circle, and you can each rectangular area separately. It’s up to you. Near the walls very often tiles are not completely sealed. It does not matter – take a sharp construction knife and cut the panel to the desired size.
Attention! Each vinyl tile laid must be rolled on top with a platen. Do this with pressure.
What other recommendations should be considered? Before starting the installation process, it is recommended to wash the floor. It must be dry, clean, dust free. The tiles fit into the joint.
How to take care of the vinyl floor
The high practicality of vinyl coatings has already been mentioned above, but it is necessary to know some points that concern the detergents used. It should be said that the floor, covered with vinyl tiles, does not require any special care. It can be washed with ordinary warm water, once a month it is recommended to do general cleaning using chemical detergents. What means are not suitable for service? Containing solvents, oils, abrasive particles. You can not treat such a floor with wax. All the rest – no problem.
The best option where you can use a vinyl floor tile in your house or apartment is a kitchen, bathroom, toilet. That is, those rooms that are classified as “wet”.
Conclusion on the topic
So, let’s sum up all the above. Self-adhesive pvc floor tiles (the design is determined only by your taste preferences) is an excellent flooring material. With its help you can not only solve the problems of wet rooms, but also change the interior design. A huge variety of sizes and design solutions, as well as a low price made it quite popular. But I would like to add one important point. If suddenly for some reason one of the tiles fails, you do not need to change the entire floor covering – just change one element.